[Nyéléni] New edition of Nyeleni on Oceans and water

Nyéleni newsletter newsletter-en at nyeleni.org
Tue Sep 19 20:06:16 CEST 2017

*Sorry for resending this email to the list, but it seems that the first
email was not sent properly.*

*All the best.*

*EN       Oceans and water* <http://www.nyeleni.org/ccount/click.php?id=117>

*The new edition of the Nyéléni Newsletter is now online!  *

Water is an essential element for life and a crucial component of the human
environment. It is also an indispensable natural resource needed for the
production of our food and the maintenance of  our planet’s basic functions.*
For these reasons, water has increasingly become a central political
element in peoples’ struggles for food sovereignty. *

The current edition of the Nyéléni newsletter exposes the growing global
threat of privatization and commodification of water – especially those of
the oceans and of inland waters, which are the source of life for thousands
of millions of fisher folks the world over.

Fisher communities from different regions and countries, organized in
global movements  - the World Forum of Fish Harvesters and Fish Workers
(WFF) and the World Forum of Fisher Peoples (WFFP) - are resisting
“ocean/water grabbing”, which follows similar logic to land grabbing.

*The time has come to reemphasize the importance of fish workers themselves
– both women and men – and for communities to exercise their sovereignty
and make states meet their human rights obligations – especially with
regard to the protection of our oceans and inland waters. *

*Click here to download the English edition*
<http://www.nyeleni.org/ccount/click.php?id=117> or read it directly in the
website at www.nyeleni.org !

For any further information, please contact info at nyeleni.org
*Please circulate it to your contacts!*

--

Emanuela Russo
Coordinator of the international *Nyéléni Newsletter *

www.nyeleni.org
info at nyeleni.org
Follow us on twitter - @infoNyeleni
Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NyeleniNewsletter