[Nyéléni] New edition of the Nyeleni newsletter online!

Nyéleni newsletter newsletter-en at nyeleni.org
Mon Jun 14 22:57:06 CEST 2021

*Communicating for food sovereignty: people's culture and popular education*
<http://www.nyeleni.org/ccount/click.php?id=158>

*The new edition of the Nyéléni Newsletter is now online!  *

Food sovereignty, among the multitude of ideas that it encompasses, is also
about defending the billion diversities that exist on this planet, and is a
celebration of our many unique practices, tastes, cultures and customs. An
important pillar in this struggle for food sovereignty is the role played by
popular rural cultures, of peasants, fisherfolk, family farmers and
Indigenous Peoples. These communities are inheritors of a rich and diverse
tradition of oral and visual forms of communication, whether in the form of
folklore, legends, tales, proverbs, songs, murals and more. These varied
forms of communication are also the recorded histories of human struggles
and survival.

However, this diversity is, today, under threat. Just as the agro-industrial
complex pushes for a homogenous, singular view of a global agrifood system,
the international-corporate-media complex has also resulted in a singular,
centralised form of mainstream communication. A handful of corporations
today control much of what we read or watch and how people access
information.

Despite the challenges, organised peoples and communities around the world
are countering this marginalisation of peoples’ culture. The current edition
of the Nyéléni newsletter focuses on the wide variety of popular, community-
driven communication approaches, drawing inspiration from local symbols,
context and culture. It explores how these approaches are integral to
pedagogy among peasants, family farmers, Indigenous Peoples and fisherfolk,
crucial for political formation and popular education, and an essential
element of our struggle for food sovereignty.

*Click here to download the English edition*
<http://www.nyeleni.org/ccount/click.php?id=158> or read it directly in the
website at www.nyeleni.org !

For any further information, please contact info at nyeleni.org
*Please circulate it to your contacts!*

--
Emanuela Russo
Coordinator of the international Nyéléni Newsletter

www.nyeleni.org
info at nyeleni.org

<http://www.nyeleni.org>